Friday 2 October 2015

FAMILY MORE IMPORTANT THAN MONEY–KEMI LALA AKINDOJU


Since 2005 when she came into the acting world, Kemi Lala Akindoju has not looked back in her quest for excellence. Having concentrated on stage plays, the thespian decided to take her game a notch higher when she broke into Nollywood. With over 70 stage productions and lead roles in some of Nollywood’s highly rated movies to her credit, the young Kemi speaks with DUPE AYINLA-OLASUNKANMI on her passion for womanhood, her life’s goals and a host of other issues


OU have always been a stage person; tell what was it like coming to TV production?


I started my career on stage, because I wanted a certain level for my career. And because I wanted to be a certain kind of actor. I did strictly theatre for five years. Working in front of the camera has always been part in the plan; it was just a means to an end. I believe an actor should be able to perform on any platform; be it stage or TV. Right now, I am an actor who performs on every platform. And every platform has different techniques and styles; in each one, you have to apply the techniques. There is no transformation or transition, because when you are transiting, it is like you are moving from one to the other.


Tell us about the V-monologue production?


It was my first production on stage. I am passionate about women issues; I have done similar productions twice before that in 2008 and 2010. The third was in 2013. Being passionate about women, I felt the story about the African woman would be a good one with the support of an NGO. These are the things that motivate me.


What was it like working with top actresses on the production?


Because people are yet to understand the theatre, I felt it was just best to bring in the gurus; and you know theatre is where they started. For Taiwo Ajayi Lycett, I just went to her and introduced myself and explained to her what I wanted to do. It was my first time and she hasn’t done stage in Nigeria for a long time. It was after that period that people realized that she was back. It wasn’t easy, but because I believe that if I think of something, I can actually do it, it wasn’t difficult.


They were wonderful. You know there is this myth that top actors are difficult, I haven’t had that experience.  They are always ready; I mean they won’t want to spoil the image of the legacy they have set in the industry. What I mean is that if you package it and they see it is good, they are always ready. In fact, I have more friends as senior colleagues; because they are more supporting and encouraging.


As one who is passionate about women, are you planning to float an NGO?


Honestly there are so many NGOs around. Where I stand right now, I don’t plan to run one. But what is on my agenda is to support as many NGOs as I can; to practically help the girl child. I am still finding my way. It is not like I have money kept somewhere. But I believe in mentorship, because I was mentored and I’m still being mentored. So anybody that I see is ready to work, I bring them closer and show them how things are done. And with the art we have, which is a powerful tool, there are so many stories to tell. For me I would think of a story where the woman is the lead first, before thinking of the man. Call it being partial, but there are a lot of scripts where the female characters are strong. In my little way I would try.


Tell us about your desire to be different?


I believe so much in purpose; there are things that I can do that you can’t do and vice versa. God has placed a special gift in everyone. I found myself in the arts and I have to use my talent. Money is physical; I have gotten to the level that I know hunger cannot kill me. I am certain that if I don’t have money in my account and no food in the house, hunger cannot kill me. The fear of dying from hunger is not there, so I must aspire for more. There has to be more to everything we do. There is more to money, life and purpose. For me, I don’t do anything for doing sake, because if it is not going to be great, then there is no need doing it.


There are lots of mediocre out there. I am a very passionate person and there are some things that you must try to change. You have to be true to yourself; ‘know yourself’ is the 11th commandment. It is not a curse. And I am not knocking down anybody that is after money, because money is good; it helps. Kunle Afolayan told me about the journey of his movie, Figurine; what they went through while shooting the movie. You know how you are forced to press on when you hear some stories. There is this glory; it is like the word in the scripture that says, for the suffering we going through now, nothing compares to the glory that awaits us. So there is more.


How do you set these goals for yourself?


It is not as if I am from a rich home; lately I thought about the kind of parents that I have, and how they taught me and made me understand that love and family are more important. Those things matter to me more than money. So I insist on being the best in everything I do. And my parents are amazing, because if they hadn’t allowed me to do what I wanted to do, I wouldn’t be here today. I mean, I started doing things for myself very early; I have been in the industry for 10 years now, and I am not yet 30. So there is a level of freedom that my parents had to give me. I studied Insurance, so it is not like I set out to be an actor. These things just happen with the help of God and the Holy Spirit. When I discovered that I wanted to be an actor, I had a list of actors that I wanted to be like and they are all presently in my life now. All these people, I walked up to them, introduced myself and told them I wanted to work with them.


How have you always gotten your roles?


Working with Uncle Tunde Kelani, I went to his office when he was shooting Maami, but they were done with casting. So when they started work for Dazzling Mirage, he cast me without seeing me. He did it by following his heart. That is one thing about this work; you follow your heart. Anybody that treats his cast on the surface won’t last. Every step of the way, I just put myself in God’s hand. I have had my years of praying and confessing what I wanted, and favour has always been the answer.


Do you still go for auditions?


Yes, there is nothing wrong in it. I have done my years of that. There is a level you get to, that they cast you, but you will still need to go to audition for them to see if you fit the role; to find out if you understand the lines.


Kunle wasn’t trying to find out if I had talent; he wanted to see how I can fit into the role. For me, I was honoured. If I didn’t get the role, it won’t mean that I am not talented. It could just be that maybe I didn’t interpret the role well enough.


How do you feel when you don’t get a role?


I feel disappointed. I’m also a casting director. I have learnt over the years that casting is not just about talents; there are features that you have to look at for a particular role. Any time I am going for audition, I try to put in my best, because those few minutes are like my whole career is coming to an end. There is this role I lost this year, but I know that it was not because I wasn’t talented that I was not picked. It just didn’t work out. And I know that what is mine won’t pass me by. The role that will take me to the next level will surely come.





Source link



No comments:

Post a Comment